Mathematikon Entrance

Our Faculty is the academic home of researchers, teachers, and students of Mathematics and Computer Science. Its institutes and facilities are housed in the Mathematikon, pleasantly located on the Campus Neuenheimer Feld of Heidelberg University. Welcome!

Mathematikon Staircase

The Doctorate signifies a proven ability to conduct independent scientific research. Under the auspices of the Combined Faculty of Mathematics, Engineering and Natural Sciences, we confer the academic degree Dr. rer. nat. in the subjects of mathematics and computer science.

Mathematikon Library

Students interested in Mathematics, Computer Science, or an interdisciplinary field, pursuing a B.Sc., M.Sc., or M.Ed., and aiming for a career in research, teaching, or the private sector, will find here in Heidelberg a full range of first-class courses for a challenging and enriching educational experience in an intellectually stimulating environment with historical cachet.

Mathematikon Lobby

We seek to promote the interest in mathematics and computer science by organizing events for schools and for the broader public. Alumns and newcomers join in and contribute to shared knowledge and contacts.

home icon
envelope icon
Students in Classroom
Mathematics and Computer Science — Studies

Student Advisory Services

Information and support in planning your studies, help with changing courses and rewriting, advice on examination matters and directions to other points of contact

You can come to the student advisory service with a wide variety of concerns. Topics in which we support you are:

  • questions about studying at the Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science
  • information on study requirements
  • career prospects and possible career paths
  • application and enrollment
  • content or course of your studies
  • examination regulations or module handbook
  • change of subject resp. place of study or transition from bachelor studies to a masters programme
  • advice on the recognition of academic achievements
  • required certificates
  • general problems in studies

For many questions we already have the right answer ready for you in our FAQs. Didn't find the answer you wanted? Our departmental advisory service will be happy to provide you with advice and assistance on these and other questions about studying at the faculty. For legally binding information, please contact the examination board responsible for you via the examination office.

Our Team

Dr. Hendrik KastenStudy Advisor (Mathematics – all programmes)

INF 205, Room 03.315
Tel.: 06221-54-14210
E-Mail: Mathematics
E-Mail: Mathematics (M.Ed.) 

Dr. Hendrik Kasten
Consultation hour: fridays 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. or by arrangement
PD Dr. Wolfgang MerkleStudy Advisor (Computer Science – all programmes)

INF 205, Room 02.211
Tel.: 06221-54-14323
E-Mail: Computer Science
E-Mail: Computer Science (M.Ed.)

PD Dr. Wolfgang Merkle
Consultation hour: mondays 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. or by arrangement, during semester break partly only by arrangement.
Dr. Deike Priemuth-SchmidStudy Advisor (Master of Education)

INF 205, Room 01.103
Tel.: 06221-54-14019
E-Mail: Mathematics (M.Ed.)
E-Mail: Computer Science (M.Ed.)


Consultation hour: Wednesdays 10h30 to 11h30

Dr. Michael WincklerStudy Advisor (Master Scientific Computing)

INF 205, Room 05.232
Tel.: 06221-54-14430
E-Mail: Master Scientific Computing

Dr. Michael Winckler

Consultation hour: tuesdays 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.

FAQs Contact Persons at the Faculty

    Academic advice, examination board, examination offices, deans of study, student council: Whom do I address with which questions?
    • The student advisory service will mainly provide you with information. Topics are all questions about your programme, such as questions about the examination regulations, the module handbook or the processes at the faculty. In this context, the student advisory service also issues the necessary certificates. In addition, the student advisory service also serves as the first point of contact for general problems during your studies, for example if you have doubts about your studies or in the event of personal emergencies.
    • The examination board is responsible for the recognition of study achievements and also decides on the approval of deadline extensions. You contact them through the respective secretariat of the examination office.
    • Your achievements are administered in the examination office. You can ask all questions about incorrectly or differently booked credits there. This also applies to achievements to be recognized from other programs or from abroad, whereby these decisions are made by the respective examination board. You will also receive your transcript of records here. In addition, final theses are registered and submitted in the examination office, and final certificates are issued. The examination office operates separate secretariats for the subjects Mathematics and Scientific Computing on the one hand and Computer Science on the other.
    • The deans of study are responsible for study planning, that is for ensuring that all types of courses are offered in sufficient quantities and that standard courses of our faculty offered in the same semester do not overlap. They are also the point of contact for serious problems in topics of teaching, such as serious complaints about lecturers.
    • The student council is not an official body of the faculty, so you cannot receive any binding information here. On the other hand, this unofficial character together with the student perspective often enables a valuable addition to the knowledge of the faculty and the university. Since the student council represents the interests of the students in the faculty, they are also a good point of contact for problems with lecturers or current study planning. Furthermore the student council offers services such as script printing or collections of exam questions.
    Who is the contact person for my programme and how do I contact them?

    If you have general questions about your programme, it is best to contact the academic advisory service - but please also read the answer to the previous question. The best way to get information about current courses is directly from the respective lecturer.

    Which examination board resp. examination office is responsible for me and how do I contact them?
    • If you are studying in one of the programs Bachelor Mathematics 100%Bachelor Mathematics 50%, or Master Mathematics, the Mathematics Examination Board and the Examination Office Mathematics are responsible for you.
    • If you are studying in one of the programs Bachelor Computer Science 100%, Bachelor Computer Science 50%, or Master Data and Computer Science, the Computer Science Examination Board and the Examination Office Computer Science are responsible for you.
    • If your program is the Master of Scientific Computing, the Scientific Computing Examination Board and the Examination Office Mathematics are responsible for you.
    • If your program is the Master of Education, there is a central examination office for you at the HSE. However, the Examination Office Mathematics resp. Computer Science is responsible for the processing of services in your specific subject.

    You can find the contact details of the secretariat of the examination office responsible for you on their web page, or you can contact them by email using the general contact form (envelope on the right). Please contact your examination board through the secratariat of the examination office responsible for you.

    FAQs Problems in Studying

      I am not sure if the programme I am studying is right for me. Whom should I contact?

      Please contact the student advisory service immediately if you have any doubts as to whether your programme is right for you. It is important to us that you are completely convinced of your choice and we are happy to talk to you about your problems. Many problems that students may encounter are already known to us and we can help to classify your difficulties and, if necessary, find ways out.

      Heidelberg University also offers central advice for those who are doubtful of their studies. Your study situation may be dealt with less precisely there, but the employees in the central advisory service are specially trained psychologically for such questions and can offer valuable decision-making aids.

      I have the feeling that I am not meeting the requirements of my studies. Whom should I contact?

      The right contact for such questions is the academic advisory service. Please do not hesitate to contact us.

      This question comes up particularly often in the first semester, as the presentation of the material takes place in a new way and at high speed. A word of reassurance at this point: Very few first semesters are able to follow their lectures in real time. To help you here, we offer extensive exercises for our lectures. If you (honestly) are able to score sufficient points on the exercise sheets week after week, then there is nothing to worry about!

      What do I do if I am ill for a longer period of time during my studies?

      It is possible to apply for a semester of illness through the central university administration. You need a corresponding certificate from your doctor in order to do this.

      Last updated on Mar 30, 2023 at 10:50 AM