Mathematikon Entrance

Our Faculty is the academic home of researchers, teachers, and students of Mathematics and Computer Science. Its institutes and facilities are housed in the Mathematikon, pleasantly located on the Campus Neuenheimer Feld of Heidelberg University. Welcome!

Mathematikon Staircase

The Doctorate signifies a proven ability to conduct independent scientific research. Under the auspices of the Combined Faculty of Mathematics, Engineering and Natural Sciences, we confer the academic degree Dr. rer. nat. in the subjects of mathematics and computer science.

Mathematikon Library

Students interested in Mathematics, Computer Science, or an interdisciplinary field, pursuing a B.Sc., M.Sc., or M.Ed., and aiming for a career in research, teaching, or the private sector, will find here in Heidelberg a full range of first-class courses for a challenging and enriching educational experience in an intellectually stimulating environment with historical cachet.

Mathematikon Lobby

We seek to promote the interest in mathematics and computer science by organizing events for schools and for the broader public. Alumns and newcomers join in and contribute to shared knowledge and contacts.

home icon
envelope icon
Mathematikon Sculpture 7
Mathematics and Computer Science — Studies

Examinations and Credits Computer Science

The Office of Examinations and Credits Computer Science administers examination results for bachelor's students of Computer Science and master's students of Data and Computer Science and issues transcripts and certificates of academic achievements. In addition, the Office of Examinations and Credits advises students on administrative issues related to their studies.

Please note:

  • For inquiries by telephone or e-mail, please have your matriculation number at hand.
  • If you have any questions regarding individual courses, please contact your respective instructor first.
  • For the accreditation of coursework completed in another field or at another university, please proceed as described under Accreditations below.

Office for Examinations and Credits

The Office for Examinations and Credits, Anke Sopka, is available by phone and e-mail. Registrations for final theses can still be submitted as scans by e-mail. When submitting theses, we continue to allow an electronic version to be submitted first to the supervisor and the examination office, and the print copies to be submitted later.

Examinations and Credits Computer Science

Anke Sopka
Examinations and Credits Computer Science

Im Neuenheimer Feld 205
Room 1/308
69120 Heidelberg

Phone: +49 6221 54-14300
Fax: +49 6221 54-14301

Anke Sopka

Opening Hours

Tue. 1:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Wed. 9:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
Thu. 1:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
or by prior arrangement

Examination Board Computer Science

Prof. Dr. Michael GertzChair of Examination Board Applied Computer Science, Computer Science, and Data and Computer Science

Im Neuenheimer Feld 205
69120 Heidelberg

Phone: +49 6221 54-14350

Prof. Dr. Michael Gertz
Prof. Dr. Barbara PaechChair of Examination Board Computer Science (Teaching), and Master of Education

Im Neuenheimer Feld 205
69120 Heidelberg

Phone: +49 6221 54-14360

Prof. Dr. Barbara Paech
Office Hours: Please send an email with the subject "Online-Sprechstunde". We can arrange an online meeting.

Accreditation of Coursework

If you would like to have coursework from another study program or from another university accredited, please proceed as follows:

  • Prepare the proof of completion (e.g. transcript) and the module descriptions of the courses you would like to have accredited. The documents must be available in German or English. Please enter the accreditation requests in the corresponding form. For credit points that were not calculated according to the ECTS system, we require an appropriate conversion.
  • Please submit the forms to the Office of Examinations and Credits in Computer Science. Electronic submission is possible.
  • After the examination board has reviewed the form, you will be notified promptly and the credits will be entered into the LSF.

FAQs Contact Persons at the Faculty

Academic advice, examination board, examination offices, deans of study, student council: Whom do I address with which questions?
  • The student advisory service will mainly provide you with information. Topics are all questions about your programme, such as questions about the examination regulations, the module handbook or the processes at the faculty. In this context, the student advisory service also issues the necessary certificates. In addition, the student advisory service also serves as the first point of contact for general problems during your studies, for example if you have doubts about your studies or in the event of personal emergencies.
  • The examination board is responsible for the recognition of study achievements and also decides on the approval of deadline extensions. You contact them through the respective secretariat of the examination office.
  • Your achievements are administered in the examination office. You can ask all questions about incorrectly or differently booked credits there. This also applies to achievements to be recognized from other programs or from abroad, whereby these decisions are made by the respective examination board. You will also receive your transcript of records here. In addition, final theses are registered and submitted in the examination office, and final certificates are issued. The examination office operates separate secretariats for the subjects Mathematics and Scientific Computing on the one hand and Computer Science on the other.
  • The deans of study are responsible for study planning, that is for ensuring that all types of courses are offered in sufficient quantities and that standard courses of our faculty offered in the same semester do not overlap. They are also the point of contact for serious problems in topics of teaching, such as serious complaints about lecturers.
  • The student council is not an official body of the faculty, so you cannot receive any binding information here. On the other hand, this unofficial character together with the student perspective often enables a valuable addition to the knowledge of the faculty and the university. Since the student council represents the interests of the students in the faculty, they are also a good point of contact for problems with lecturers or current study planning. Furthermore the student council offers services such as script printing or collections of exam questions.
Who is the contact person for my programme and how do I contact them?

If you have general questions about your programme, it is best to contact the academic advisory service - but please also read the answer to the previous question. The best way to get information about current courses is directly from the respective lecturer.

Which examination board resp. examination office is responsible for me and how do I contact them?
  • If you are studying in one of the programs Bachelor Mathematics 100%Bachelor Mathematics 50%, or Master Mathematics, the Mathematics Examination Board and the Examination Office Mathematics are responsible for you.
  • If you are studying in one of the programs Bachelor Computer Science 100%, Bachelor Computer Science 50%, or Master Data and Computer Science, the Computer Science Examination Board and the Examination Office Computer Science are responsible for you.
  • If your program is the Master of Scientific Computing, the Scientific Computing Examination Board and the Examination Office Mathematics are responsible for you.
  • If your program is the Master of Education, there is a central examination office for you at the HSE. However, the Examination Office Mathematics resp. Computer Science is responsible for the processing of services in your specific subject.

You can find the contact details of the secretariat of the examination office responsible for you on their web page, or you can contact them by email using the general contact form (envelope on the right). Please contact your examination board through the secratariat of the examination office responsible for you.

FAQs Examinations and Credits

Is registration for a module examination binding?

It is. In case of illness or other serious hindrances please contact your lecturer, best in advance of the examination.

If I am admitted to the exam, am I automatically registered for the exam?

That is different for different lecturers. Please ask your lecturer about the modalities.

What can I do if exam dates overlap?

Although we try to schedule the module examinations so that they do not overlap, we unfortunately do not always succeed. This applies in particular to the coordination with the examinations for the areas of application and second main subjects. If you are affected by such an overlap, please contact the respective lecturer in order to clarify the problem directly with them. A typical solution is that you only take one of the two exams and that your participation is confirmed by the lecturer. For the other course, this confirmation is then equivalent to a sick leave and you will be assigned an alternative date.

What do I do if I am ill at my exam? Does a simple notification of my doctor suffice?

For the first notification of illness, a notification from the doctor is generally sufficient, unless the lecturer expressly wishes to have the notification of illness different. The latter is then noted on the course homepage.

Can I keep my admission to a module examination for the next time the module in question is offered?

In Computer Science, the admission to a module examination stays valid for two semesters. In Mathematics, this is not possible in general. However, there is a goodwill rule according to which you can take the exam admission with you if the following three conditions hold:

  • the module in question is a compulsory module in your examination regulations,
  • you took part in the exam and did not pass it,
  • you take the next opportunity of an exam in this module.

If you want to make use of this rule when repeating the module, please contact the team for the relevant course early so that this can be taken into account.

Can I retake an exam that I have passed in order to improve?

No, this is expressly excluded in the examination regulations.

I failed an exam. What can I do now?
  • If you failed a module examination for the first time, you can repeat it at least once. To find out how many repetitions are possible for your module, please refer to your examination regulations.
  • If you have exhausted all permitted repetition options for a module and failed the examination, you have definitely failed this module. In the case of a compulsory module, you lose the right to be examined in your subject; in the case of an elective or elective module, you can replace the relevant module with an equivalent one.
  • Our bachelor's degree programmes require you to take an orientation test. If you have not passed this at the end of your third semester, you will lose the right to be examined in your subject.
Where can I get a transcript of records?

You can get a transcript of records by e-mail request to the responsible secretariat of the examination office.

Which modules appear in the transcript of records? Which in the certificate?

All modules that are completed in the course appear in the transcript of records. Only the modules that are necessary for the respective degree appear in the certificate.

Can I see my grades online?

You can see your grades via the LSF of the university in the Notenspiegel (transcript of records) under the tab Prüfungsverwaltung (examination administration).

FAQs Bachelor Computer Science 100%

Credit transfer

Please first read paragraph 7 of the examination regulations: "Crediting of study and examination achievements and degrees".

Achievements that you have completed at other universities can, in principle, be credited to achievements in your degree program. Important: credit can only be given for those achievements which can be proven to have been achieved and graded by means of an oral or written examination. Only in justifiable exceptional cases is an accreditation possible if you have not received a grade for the performance. Furthermore, achievements can only be credited if they correspond in type and scope to achievements required by us (ECTS specification). The procedure is now as follows:

  1. Create a list of those achievements that you consider to be creditable and wish to have accredited.
  2. Compare the type and scope of your achievements with those required by us and indicate in each case for which of our modules your achievements should be credited.
  3. Formulate the request for credit to the chair of the examination board. For this purpose, use only the corresponding form on the computer science website (to be found under "Important Forms")!
  4. Come to the Examination Office during opening hours and bring with you all those certificates of achievement for which credit is requested. (The original for checking and a copy as an attachment). To be on the safe side, you should also bring the module descriptions of those courses that you have attended for comparability of performance. In case of courses that are not directly from the field of Computer Science, it may be necessary to obtain information from the examination board of the other field.


Orientation examination

If the module Introduction to Practical Computer Science (IPI) is still not passed after the third semester, the deadline for taking the orientation exam has expired and paragraph 13 (3) of the examination regulations becomes effective: "... If the deadline is missed, the examinee loses the right to take the examination, unless he/she is not responsible for missing the deadline." Since IPI is the introductory course to the study program, you should in any case ask yourself Computer Science is a suitable field of study for you. Therefore, please also consult sour student advisor, if necessary.

FAQs Bachelor Computer Science 50%

What other 50% courses can I combine this subject with?

The Bachelor in Computer Science 50% can basically be combined with all other subjects at Heidelberg University that offer a 50% degree. When registering, please note that you can only write your bachelor thesis in the first major, and enter your subjects accordingly in order to avoid to later formally have to change your programme.

Who can supervise bachelor theses?

Any person who has been granted the right to examine mathematics by the Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science can be considered as a supervisor of a bachelor thesis. This group includes all professors of the faculty as well as some lecturers on permanent positions - if in doubt, you can ask.

What are the deadlines for my bachelor thesis?

The processing time for the bachelor thesis is 3 months. The registration and submission dates are shown on the notification form for the bachelor thesis and are binding.

FAQs Master Data and Computer Science

How do I choose my application area and which courses do I take there?

The field of application should continue the field of application from the Bachelor's degree. If this is not possible, for example due to a change of university, please clarify with the examination board how you can proceed. As a rule, it is not possible to include an introductory lecture in an application area as an examination credit in the Master's degree.

The Master's examination regulations do not prescribe which courses you have to attend in the application area. You basically have two options:

  1. You create a plan of courses in the application area in consultation with the student advisor of the application area, as they have an overview of which advanced courses are useful. You have this plan confirmed there and submit it to us in the examination office.
  2. You integrate an interdisciplinary project: For this purpose you have to look for a lecturer from computer science and from the application area and determine the content of the project and the necessary courses from the application area in consultation with these two lecturers. Again: At the beginning of the project, please ask both lecturers to confirm this specification and submit it to us in the examination office. If you do not have any contacts in the application area, first look for the person in Computer Science. This person can then probably establish contacts in the application area.

The 18 LP in the application area are to be taken through non-informatics modules at Bachelor's or Master's level. Of the 18 LP, up to 10 LP can be done through an interdisciplinary project.

  • You have to have the choice of the application area and the modules or the project for it approved by the examination board Master Data and Computer Science before starting the module IAG. Of course, you can also use proposals that have already been approved.
  • You have to submit a confirmation from the Dean of Studies (or the student advisor) of the application area, which approves this choice from the point of view of the application area and confirms it as reasonable.
  • The selection of courses in the chosen field of application is binding and can only be changed in well justified exceptional cases.
  • The modules in the application area must be graded, ungraded modules will only be accepted in well justified exceptional cases.
  • If you want to do a project, a confirmation of the lecturers from both computer science and application area must be submitted. If you do not have contacts in an application area, first find the person in Computer Science. This person can then probably establish contacts in the application area.
Last updated on Feb 15, 2023 at 10:43 AM